From: Stefan Seefeld (stefan_at_[hidden])
Date: 2023-04-26 15:23:27

On Wed, Apr 26, 2023 at 10:53 AM Vinnie Falco via Boost <
boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Pros of Writing It Ourselves
>
> * Uses Python, a popular language
> * Preserved mailing list experience
> * Threaded discussions
> * Customized to suit our needs
>
> Cons of Writing it Ourselves
>
> * More expensive long-term
> * Takes longer to reach feature parity
> * We have to maintain it
>
> Note, the C++ Alliance is covering all of the expenses for development
> so the expense issue is not of particular importance, our priority is
> on getting things done perfectly for users even if it costs a bit
> more.

Perhaps there is a middle-way: layering whatever customization you need on
top of existing infrastructure (e.g. Mailman) ? This could even be
submitted upstream, if there is enough common interest, so Boost wouldn't
have to own and maintain it in the long term...