From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2023-04-26 16:44:35

On 26/04/2023 15:43, Vinnie Falco via Boost wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 26, 2023 at 7:12 AM Marshall Clow via Boost
> <boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>>> Are you using a threaded e-mail reader? If so, do you care if
>>> discussions are changed to be flat (like Discourse)?
>>
>> Yes, and Yes.
>
> The current situation is this. For various reasons, we have no forum
> for the new website. And a new forum is crucial for attracting new
> people, as no one in their twenties or earlier wants to use a mailing
> list.
Twenty somethings don't use discussion forums either. Too passe.

Re: Implementation last time this was discussed here and options
investigated we found that https://fossil-scm.org/forum/forum
implemented a web discussion forum with mailing list interface. One
could use either interface, they were equivalent, and the UI seemed to
meet approval here.

I remember there were also other web discussion forum implementations
with mailing list interface, but Fossil was the least unacceptable of
them according to here, back in the day.

Now, as to whether it could be improved upon, surely yes. However ever
since Google stopped indexing discussion forms, I don't think they're
the draw of users that they were. Nowadays if you can't find it on
TikTok, it doesn't really exist for the under thirties.

Niall