From: John Maddock (jz.maddock_at_[hidden])
Date: 2023-04-28 11:34:38

On 27/04/2023 23:19, Robert Ramey via Boost wrote:
> in boost/config/detail/suffix.hpp
>
> I find this bit of code:
>
> //
> // We can't have a working std::wstreambuf if there is no std::locale:
> //
> #  if defined(BOOST_NO_STD_LOCALE) && !defined(BOOST_NO_STD_WSTREAMBUF)
> #     define BOOST_NO_STD_WSTREAMBUF
> #  endif
>
> and believe it or not. this is now causing me some issues.  Is the
> statement above true? Do we know that wide char streams cannot exist
> without std::locale being present?  Can anyone shed light on this?

As already mentioned, the original logic (and this dates back to C++98
or maybe even earlier!) was that there was a direct dependency between
the "new" iostream operators and std::locale. I'm sure that for 99% of
platforms this is redundant now anyway given that everyone supports
wchar_t.  What's the specific issue this is causing?

John.