From: Kenneth Porter (shiva_at_[hidden])
Date: 2023-04-28 21:06:18

I use two threaded mailers: Thunderbird and Mulberry. But the main value
of threading here is being able to skip to the end of a subthread to see
the latest answer. I can do that quickly in a forum without threading.
But I do like the threading of Reddit and Slashdot, so a forum that
supports that would be nice.

My biggest gripe with the mailing  list is really with my ISP's mailing
system (Xfinity), which doesn't retry a submission to the listserv when
the listserv's greylisting bounces the initial submission with a
temporary failure. I have to wait a couple minutes for the bounce email
and then re-send from my Sent folder. As I'll certainly have to do with
this message. So I don't participate as much on this list as I do on
others without the greylisting. A forum wouldn't be subject to this problem.

It does seem that forums get better search engine spidering than mailing
list archives do. So it would be easier to search for answers using a
forum.

I'd hope to see a forum with a monthly or weekly mailing of a summary of
active threads. I get that with a few forums, notably Rocky Linux and
Visual Tool Kit. That's a feature of mailing lists: I don't forget to
look to see new messages. But I do filter mailing list messages to
separate folders (using the List-ID header) so they don't clutter my
Inbox. I just glance at the Boost folder to see what new activity is
available as part of my regular email regimen.