From: Andrey Semashev (andrey.semashev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2023-04-30 12:12:55

> Andrey Semashev wrote:
>> I didn't say anything against refactoring, in fact I'm arguing that we should
>> maintain our existing libraries (which includes refactoring) rather than add
>> new libraries with duplicate components.
>
> You did create the (stillborn) Sync though, which duplicates Thread. Why?

It doesn't fully duplicate Boost.Thread. It added new synchronization
primitives and added support for different timing libraries besides
Boost.Chrono.

There was another idea that Boost.Thread became too large and difficult
to maintain. So the thread synchronization primitives were supposed to
be extracted to a separate library, Boost.Sync, leaving only thread
launching and high-level tools like future/promise, async and thread
pool in Boost.Thread.