From: Andrey Semashev (andrey.semashev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2023-04-30 16:38:36

On 4/30/23 18:37, Robert Ramey via Boost wrote:
> the implementation of Boost CI follows the normal pattern for the
> implementation of this functionality.  This entails download the latest
> version of the library to be tested and it's dependencies (or maybe all
> of boost?) from the repo, Building everything from scratch, running all
> the tests and logging the output there of.  This is done for each
> compiler / environment to be tested.  Other than the raw console logs,
> there is no presentation of the tests results (e.g boost test matrix).
>
> This is extremely unsatisfactory.
>
> a) It's ridiculously resource intensive.  Rebuilding everything all the
> time.

Rebuilding everything is good. Incremental builds are fragile.

> b) takes forever unless one has many more servers than we have.
>
> c) builds/tests even with the most trivial check-in.  like adding a
> period to a documentation page.

You can mark commits to skip CI, if you want.

> I would suggest we throw the whole thing out and consider a different
> approach.  This approach would be more along the lines of that used by
> CMake test server.  Complete documentation of how CMake does it is
> described in the CMake documentation.  Basically it works like this.
>
> I run my CMake tests locally.  This means that tests are not run on a
> server, but on some users configuration.  This spreads the load.
>
> This means I run a special CMake target which takes the latest results
> and posts them to a server.  The results are not posted automatically -
> I have to ask for it so it only happens when I know that a change is not
> trivial.
>
> It also means that all configurations actually being used (and only
> those configurations) are tested and the results logged.
>
> The server can than be queried to produce a table of results by
> configuration, compiler, library, etc on demand.  CMake people maintain
> a basic server where one can post his results.  But it's query facility
> isn't really complete enough for boost needs.  This facility would need
> to be upgraded to boost requirements.  Actually we have several
> application which might serve as a starting point: my library_status app
> which I use to produce a table of results and the app which produces the
> boost library test matrix.
>
> All in all this would produce a system which would actually be useful.

As a developer, I would like to know that the commit I pushed works on
all configurations I care to support relatively soon (in a matter of
minutes to hours), so that I can merge this commit to master. I do not
want to wait until someone bothers to checkout and test this commit - on
every supported system. You cannot expect this to happen any time soon,
and you'll be lucky if you hear a bug report before a release deadline,
when it is already too late to fix it.