From: Dominique Devienne (ddevienne_at_[hidden])
Date: 2023-05-02 08:26:43

On Mon, May 1, 2023 at 8:15 AM Vinnie Falco via Boost <boost_at_[hidden]>
wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 30, 2023 at 8:56 PM Rainer Deyke via Boost
> <boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> > The SDL mailing list moved from true mailing list on gmane to Discourse
> > web forum with email notification (but no gmane) a while back
>
> Good thing that's not happening to Boost

I've already mentioned it, but I feel compelled to re-iterate,
given the lets-built-it direction, although I know it's most likely in vein.

SQLite made the transition from ML to a custom-built Forum, and it went/was
OK.
I and several others were against it. In the end, the community survived
and thrived.

I've used Discord in the past. I've used Basecamp. I've used News (Google
Reader, RIP).
And of course I've used MLs too, these ones included. [The Fossil
Forums][1] are low-key,
fast, i.e. good enough. And very low resources on the backend.
The Forums integrate with [Pikchr][2] for text-based diagramming.
Email notification is implemented, but replies by emails are not.

You don't need to use Fossil SCM to use them. Many people use Fossil just
for the Forums.
Unlike SQLite, Fossil is open to contributions too, although the community
is opinionated.

I have no stake in Fossil. I'm just a happy user. FWIW. --DD

[1]: https://www.fossil-scm.org/home/doc/trunk/www/forum.wiki
[2]: https://fossil-scm.org/home/doc/trunk/www/pikchr.md