From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2023-05-31 19:00:08

On 5/31/23 11:39 AM, Vinnie Falco via Boost wrote:
> On Wed, May 31, 2023 at 11:36 AM Robert Ramey via Boost
> <boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>> I'd be curious to hear other persons thoughts on this.
>>
>> https://github.com/boostorg/safe_numerics/discussions/133
>
> Thought experiment: Have you ever searched for something C++/technical
> on Google, and got directed to a GitHub discussion as one of the top
> results?

I never imagined it being used in this way. I see someone finding the
library and considering using it and wondering about what real users
experience was with the library before he invested effort on his own.

I was motivated to do this as I got a private email from a user who had
seen my CppCon presentation on the library 5 years ago and didn't find a
immediate use for it. Fast forward 5 years and he inherits a project
with issues which the library addresses. He claimed that the library
saved the project. In thinking how I might best use this information, I
suggested that he star the library in github. I poked around github and
found the "Discussions" feature and it seemed to be useful for hosting
information like this.

There has been a lot of discussion lately about how to better promote
boost and get new users. This might contribute to that. It also
promotes the view of boost being more "modular" as it treats each
library more or less independently. If this were to workout, it also
might provide some window into which libraries are being used and which
are in the zombie zone.

by the way - updated link:

https://github.com/boostorg/safe_numerics/discussions/categories/experiences-with-safe_numerics

Robert Ramey