From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2023-06-27 17:33:52

On 6/22/23 11:29 AM, Mohammad Nejati [ashtum] via Boost wrote:
> Hey everyone,

> I kindly request you try out the new search functionality by visiting
> the demo page at: https://cppalliance.org/boost-gecko/ and share your
> thoughts, suggestions, or any issues you may encounter. Your input
> will greatly assist us in refining the search feature and ensuring it
> meets the needs of our users. Please note that the drop-down for
> selecting a library is included to simulate the experience of being on
> a specific library page. Our plan is to incorporate a search button
> into the header of every library page, defaulted to search within that
> specific library.
>
> Respectfully Yours,
> Mohammad Nejati

Hmmmm - seems to me that you've made this a much bigger job that it
would otherwise be.

Most of the Boost documentation is run through a tool chain which
includes Boost Book. Boost book is a doc book XML derivative. At that
point, the XML file contains all the documentation along with semantic
tags indicating what the contents of the fields are. Generating an
enhanced global table of contents can be done with an XSLT script which
the current document tool chain already requires.

Some of the boost libraries do not use Boost Book. The above paragraph
would not apply to those libraries. In some cases the library predates
the implementation of Boost Book (e.g. Serialization, Iterators) and
other cases, the library authors have elected not to use Boost Book.
(e.g. MP11).

To my mind, efforts would be better spent just converting all libraries
to Boost Book. It's a more general approach and automatically includes
functionality such as rendering documentation as PDF.

Robert Ramey