From: Klemens Morgenstern (klemensdavidmorgenstern_at_[hidden])
Date: 2023-08-18 01:35:38

On Fri, Aug 18, 2023 at 6:51 AM Andrzej Krzemienski via Boost
<boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> czw., 17 sie 2023 o 23:55 Ruben Perez <rubenperez038_at_[hidden]> napisał(a):
>
> > > One more question. This interface of async::generator<Out, In>, taking
> > two
> > > parameters, where one can not only generate values from the generator,
> > but
> > > also obtain values: is there a real-life use case for this?
> >
> > I'd say major languages like Python and JS allow for this, too.
> > So if you're coming from these, it makes sense.
> >

> Thanks, but still,
> could someone show a plausible real-life example of this written in
> Boost.Asynch?
> I am not familiar with Python's or JS's coroutines. But do they have an
> *identical* interface?

Not identical, you need to call `send` in python, instead of operator().

> When I was trying to come up with an example, I found the results
> surprising:
>
> auto output1 = co_await generator(input1);
> auto output2 = co_await generator(input2);
>
> I expected that this instruction would mean "take input2, suspend, and when
> resumed return value computed from input2". But because the implementation
> in the coroutine has to read:
>
> auto next_input = co_yield compute(input);
>
> The consequence is that the co_awaits actually mean "take input2, suspend,
> and when resumed return value computed from input1".

generators have this "weird" kind of overlap by their nature.
They can be made lazy but then the inner workings get utterly
confusing too, because where does the input1 come from before the
co_yield?

i.e. in your example:

async::generator<Result, Task> client(Task t)
{
    for (int i = 0; ; ++i < 100)
    {
        std::cout << "processing: " << t.value << std::endl;
        t = co_yield Result{ std::format("result-{}-{}", i, t.value) };
    }
    co_return Result{ std::format("result-{}-{}", 100, t.value) };
}

when I do the first co_await g(t) - where does `t` go? You're in the
co_yield using the t passed in through the argument list, so it's not
clear what's going on either.
I actually did this in asio::experimental::coro, and I found it worse.

There might be an option to support this with a runtime_option, e.g.:

async::generator<Result, Task> client()
{
    auto t = co_await async::this_coro::initial; // wait for the first
co_await & make the generator lazy.
    for (int i = 0; ; ++i < 100)
    {
        std::cout << "processing: " << t.value << std::endl;
        t = co_yield Result{ std::format("result-{}-{}", i, t.value) };
    }
    co_return Result{ std::format("result-{}-{}", 100, t.value) };
}

> Maybe I am doing something wrong, I would like to be corrected. The
> argument that other languages have it is not a valid one for me. I would
> still like to know if this has a use case when implemented as it is with
> C++ coroutines.

I think you're just looking for a lazy generator and I made it eager.
There's no reason I couldn't support both.