From: Peter Dimov (pdimov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2023-11-12 01:29:27

Robert Ramey wrote:
> On 11/11/23 3:12 PM, Peter Dimov via Boost wrote:
> > Robert Ramey wrote:
> >> If can test the feature branch of one library X against the master
> >> branch of all the other libraries before me merge the feature branch
> >> into the master, then no "integration testing" should be necessary.
> >
> > This doesn't work if you want to take advantage of a new feature
> > in library Y that hasn't been merged to master yet, because it's still
> > in development.
>
> I can't see why one would ever want to do that.

Often because the feature has been developed at their request, and
they don't want to wait for the next Boost release to take advantage
of it.

This also works in the other direction, for features being deprecated
and removed - fixing the deprecation warnings should be done
sooner than later, because our users aren't particularly impressed if
our own libraries emit warnings because they use deprecated features
of other Boost libraries.

For the user, Boost is a whole, and it should keep its house in order.