From: Andrzej Krzemienski (akrzemi1_at_[hidden])
Date: 2023-12-02 16:39:33

sob., 2 gru 2023 o 17:11 Andrey Semashev via Boost <boost_at_[hidden]>
napisał(a):

> On 12/2/23 17:14, Andrzej Krzemienski wrote:
> > pt., 1 gru 2023 o 19:49 Andrey Semashev via Boost <boost_at_[hidden]
> >
> > Second, if you mean incompatibility of exception_checker with
> coroutines
> > then that is already addressed in a note in this section:
> >

> https://lastique.github.io/scope/libs/scope/doc/html/scope/scope_guards.html#scope.scope_guards.condition_functions
> <
> https://lastique.github.io/scope/libs/scope/doc/html/scope/scope_guards.html#scope.scope_guards.condition_functions
> >

> > If you're using coroutines then just don't use it. Where it is used
> in
> > library examples, it is implied that coroutines are not used.
> >
> > I mean something slightly different.
> >
> > Given that in Boost.ScopeExit I need to implement the conditional
> > execution manually, I can do it in two ways. One is:
> >
> > template< typename T >
> > void add_object(T const& arg)
> > {
> > auto it = objects.insert(Object());
> >
> > auto uncaught_count = boost::core::uncaught_exceptions();
> >
> > BOOST_SCOPE_EXIT_TPL(this_, it, uncaught_count)
> > {
> > if (uncaught_count != boost::core::uncaught_exceptions())
> > this_->objects.erase(it);
> > }
> > BOOST_SCOPE_EXIT_END;
> >
> > it->start(arg);
> > }
> >
> > The other is:
> >
> > template< typename T >
> > void add_object(T const& arg)
> > {
> > auto it = objects.insert(Object());
> >
> > bool active = true;
> >
> > BOOST_SCOPE_EXIT_TPL(this_, it, &active)
> > {
> > if (active)
> > this_->objects.erase(it);
> > }
> > BOOST_SCOPE_EXIT_END;
> >
> > it->start(arg);
> > active = false;
> > }
> >
> > Given these options, I have zero motivation for using the former. The
> > latter one:
> > * is C++11 compatible (boost::uncaught_exceptions doesn't necessarily
> > work for prec++17 compilers)
> > * works correctly in 100% cases rather than in 99% of the cases (I mean
> > the caveats regarding coroutines and fibers)
> > * avoids two calls to a C++ runtime.
> >
> > I think the example with the `active` flag should be used in comparison.
> > And then, if you want to compare apples to apples, you would have to use
> > scope_exit and set_active. Otherwise, I think the comparison should
> > acknowledge that the solution with scope_fail has caveats and is slower.
>
> We've discussed this before, and there are pros and cons to each
> approach. The uncaught_exceptions-based solution encapsulates the
> rollback logic in one place, you don't have to set the active flag
> manually on every return point. It does have downsides as well, like
> [...]

I would encourage you to add a third row.
I understand that "Introduction" is only to give a potential user the first
impression, and this is exactly why I am pushing for this. The current
presentation has two downsides:
* It presents Boost.ScopeExit as worse than it really is.
* It might give an impression that the author is unaware of
coroutine/fiber-related problems, and offers no solution for this case.

Regards,
&rzej;