From: Zach Laine (whatwasthataddress_at_[hidden])
Date: 2024-01-26 14:36:29

On Fri, Jan 26, 2024 at 1:38 AM Matt Borland via Boost
<boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> > Hi Everyone,
> > This is about https://github.com/cppalliance/charconv/issues/110, again.

[snip]

> Between here and the Slack channel there seems to be a general consensus that 2 overloads should be provided by Boost.charconv to offer the drop-in replacement, and one with a better designed handling of ERANGE. There is slightly more people saying that boost::charconv::from_chars should match std::from_chars exactly, and then also have a boost::charconv::from_chars_erange with the aforementioned better handling. It seems as the boost components with the exact same naming as STL components with different handling causes some heartburn among the users.

I want to underline my support for this. To me, the reason this
submission will get the most use is that it implements the standard
behavior. This makes it useful for people who are using a pre-C++17
build mode, or an implementation that does not yet provide <charconv>.
The perf benefits are nice, but few users will be motivated by that
alone, based on the numbers I saw. If the std:: version sucks in some
way, the Boost one should suck in exactly the same way, IMO, with of
course an available non-sucky alternative.

Zach