From: Vinnie Falco (vinnie.falco_at_[hidden])
Date: 2024-02-16 20:40:46

On Fri, Feb 16, 2024 at 12:33 PM Glen Fernandes
<glen.fernandes_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> If you want to follow the tradition of source files, the easiest
> convention to follow is to state that your files, e.g.
>
> <!--
> Copyright (c) 2024 <author>
> Distributed under the Boost Software License, Version 1.0.
> See accompanying file LICENSE_1_0.txt or copy at
> http://www.boost.org/LICENSE_1_0.txt
> -->

We can do that, or alternatively is it possible to just plop a LICENSE
file at the root of the repository?

> Is there a reason the contribution cannot be a single (mono) repository?

This might be possible in theory but is not a good idea. When changes
are made to the develop version of the website proper, it is built and
staged at a separate URL so that it can be quality-controlled before
going live. When a pull request is submitted to documentation
repository ("site-docs", which holds the User Guide, Contributor's
Guide, and Boost Formal Review Process manual), there is a complex
backend process which rebuilds the static pages for the documentation,
publishes it to a temporary S3 bucket, and then through a GitHub API
replies to the pull request with a link to a preview of the resulting
changes.

If we make this all into a single repository, then every time a pull
request or change is made to this mono-repo, we might have to settle
for rebuilding literally everything. To prevent that would require
analyzing the changes, and so on.... maybe possible, but considerable
work in exchange for just having fewer repos. This doesn't sound like
a win.

We can probably move the documentation for the website into the
"site-docs" repo. To be clear, this is not end-user documentation
regarding the libraries, this is documentation for the website itself.
That is, the structure of the database, how the various cloud
instances and services are deployed, and so on. As Sam is the author
of that documentation, I would leave that up to him.

Thanks