From: Zach Laine (whatwasthataddress_at_[hidden])
Date: 2024-02-24 00:47:12

On Fri, Feb 23, 2024 at 2:59 AM Matt Borland via Boost
<boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Below is my review of the proposed Boost.Parser.
>

> ## What is your evaluation of the design?
>
> I thought it was easier to pick-up and use than Spirit. How to use the library is clear, and I didn't see any real gotchas floating around. Like others I appreciate that the library has a descriptive name.
>
> ## What is your evaluation of the implementation?
>
> It's generally pretty clean. The numeric parsing in <boost/parser/detail/numeric.hpp> seems to be a reduced version of the parser from Spirit X3. To test if it was similar I ran this library through the Boost.Charconv benchmarks for performance evaluation with parsing floats, doubles, uint32, and uint64. I ran this using Homebrew GCC 13.2.0 on an M1 Mac. The test set consists of a test set of 2'000'000 random numbers of each type, and that test set is run 5 times. The timing in the left column is the average time to parse 1 number (i.e. total time / 10'000'000).
>
> ----from_chars float----
> 29.7 ns | std::strtof float scientific
> 36.7 ns | std::strtod double scientific
> 519.9 ns | Boost.lexical_cast float scientific
> 574.0 ns | Boost.lexical_cast double scientific
> 28.3 ns | Boost.Spirit.Qi float scientific
> 34.7 ns | Boost.Spirit.Qi double scientific
> 72.1 ns | Boost.Parser float scientific
> 78.9 ns | Boost.Parser double scientific
> 22.0 ns | std::from_chars float scientific
> 22.2 ns | std::from_chars double scientific
> 23.0 ns | Boost.Charconv::from_chars float scientific
> 22.7 ns | Boost.Charconv::from_chars double scientific
> 65.6 ns | Google double-conversion float scientific
> 115.2 ns | Google double-conversion double scientific
>
> -----from_chars int-----
> 23.1 ns | std::strtoul uint32_t
> 26.8 ns | std::strtoull uint64_t
> 40.4 ns | Boost.lexical_cast uint32_t
> 51.4 ns | Boost.lexical_cast uint64_t
> 29.3 ns | Boost.Spirit.Qi uint32_t
> 29.4 ns | Boost.Spirit.Qi uint64_t
> 53.7 ns | Boost.Parser uint32_t
> 66.3 ns | Boost.Parser uint64_t
> 11.1 ns | std::from_chars uint32_t
> 16.4 ns | std::from_chars uint64_t
> 10.0 ns | Boost.Charconv::from_chars uint32_t
> 16.3 ns | Boost.Charconv::from_chars uint64_t
>
> The library requires C++17 so it may be worth offloading some of the numeric cases to <charconv> if possible.

Interesting. I would have expected the perf to be basically the same
as Qi, since you're right, I took it from Spirit. However, I took it
from Spirit X3, not Spirit 2's Qi. Maybe that's the difference? In
any case, I think that using one of the from/to_chars implementations
would be best. Ticket for that:
https://github.com/tzlaine/parser/issues/113

> The only thing I didn't like seems to be a carry-over from Spirit. Most numeric types have a parser of the form type_ (e.g. float_, int_, etc). ulong_long and long_long are both missing the trailing underscore which is a small enough difference to be surprising and a bit annoying.

Well, in all cases, there's an extra '_' after the first token of the
original type name. See? Consistent. :) Basically, I saw no need to
change it -- you strictly need the trailing '_' for float, and you
don't need it for long_long.

> I think the CI could be more comprehensive. All of the current testing is run on x86_64. The boost drone has ARM Mac, S390X, and aarch64 all running natively. Boost.CI also has some docker images of other architectures. I concur with Chris about adding CodeCov to the CI. I have added it to a number of boost libraries recently, and it has helped us to find, and fix dark corners of the codebase.

I'm all for this -- patches welcome. I don't understand how Drone
works at all, or even where the builds happen, or I would have tried
setting this up myself.

[snip]

Thanks for the review, Matt! And the PR.

Zach