From: Andrey Semashev (andrey.semashev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2024-03-04 14:38:21

On 3/4/24 15:50, Ion Gaztañaga via Boost wrote:

> 4) Terms of use: It was suggested that there needed to be a page like
> "Terms of Use" composed with help of a lawyer. AFAIK there is a new page
> (https://www.boost.io/terms-of-use/) that is much simpler and easier to
> read than the original. I'm not sure if Andrey's comments are addressed
> with the new TOU. Andrey, it's ok now?

The relevant issue is:

https://github.com/boostorg/website-v2/issues/956

Yes, the updated TOU resolves the issues I had with it originally.

> 6) Moderation: We had a discussion about how moderation should be
> performed in the site (mainly as an anti-spam mechanism) and how it's
> implemented now in the mailing list (volunteers). My understanding is
> that the new website has some moderation tools so that anyone can submit
> news, etc... and that the same ML method (volunteers blessed in the ML)
> should be used to appoint the moderators for the site (not necessarily
> the same people that moderate the ML).

At this point, it's not clear what is going to be moderated. Vinnie has
announced that the forum idea has been cancelled, and no support for
comments is planned.

I'm not sure what will be the mechanism for submitting news items. If
it's through PRs, as with the current website, then moderation is the
natural part of that process.

In relation to this, it's not clear what's the purpose of user
registration. What does it offer to the user?

> I don't know if this summary is accurate, the aim was synthesize several
> ML threads into a single post, certainly I could be wrong on several
> points, please correct me in that case.

I believe, the most important issue left unresolved is regarding IP
ownership and control over the new website. David posted that Boost
Foundation will have a meeting about it mid-March.

There are also a number of technical issues reported on GitHub. Some of
them that I consider important for adequately replacing the current
website are:

https://github.com/boostorg/website-v2/issues/1000
https://github.com/boostorg/website-v2/issues/996
https://github.com/boostorg/website-v2/issues/951
https://github.com/boostorg/website-v2/issues/946
https://github.com/boostorg/website-v2/issues/945
https://github.com/boostorg/website-v2/issues/943
https://github.com/boostorg/website-v2/issues/939
https://github.com/boostorg/website-v2/issues/932
https://github.com/boostorg/website-v2/issues/786

> Now the next question is: *What's missing technically so that the new
> website can to live?*

It is already "live" as it is accessible through boost.io.

If you mean switching boost.org to the new website then the IP and
control issue I mentioned is blocking it.