From: Ruben Perez (rubenperez038_at_[hidden])
Date: 2024-04-08 19:30:32

> It would be interesting to see the benchmark numbers for a larger number
> of CPU cores (e.g. 16). I can see in the table that up to 3 TUs build
> time with modules is 25-40% higher than with headers and the situation
> significantly changes for 4 and more TUs. You were using 3 cores for
> compilation, and I wonder if this is related.

It is definitely related. I ran the benchmark like this intentionally, so
the effects of parallelism could be seen without having to run a benchmark
with 20TUs. You can expect the modules build to be slower at 7TUs with 16
cores. I will double check shortly that this is the case, though.

> One other thing that isn't clear is how modules interact with compiled
> libraries. I don't suppose modules will replace static/shared libraries,
> so I presume a module will be added on top of the library? How should it
> "export" the symbols that are already exported from the compiled library
> then?

I haven't explored this yet as to have a clear mental model here.