From: Stephan T. Lavavej (stl_at_[hidden])
Date: 2024-04-08 21:51:45

[Ruben Perez]
> I see. Is it [arbitrary import/include mixing in a TU] expected to be fixed in the near future?

We don't have an ETA at this time (definitely not VS 2022 17.10, unlikely 17.11). The compiler team wants to resolve it by invisibly translating #include <meow>​ to behave as import std.compat;​ with additional magic behind the scenes (to handle macros and non-Standard identifiers, which import std.compat;​ does not emit by itself). That translation mechanism doesn't exist in the compiler yet, and I still need to finish an audit of what CRT stuff the STL drags in (that someone saying #include <meow> might be depending on).

They've told me that making extern "C++"​ (the mechanism I used to make include-before-import mixing work in 17.10) handle import-before-include is not feasible. I don't truly understand that, but I'm a library dev precisely because I don't want to understand deep compiler internals 😹

STL