From: Rainer Deyke (rdeyke_at_[hidden])
Date: 2024-04-10 20:11:11

On 10.04.24 19:08, Boris Kolpackov via Boost wrote:
> Rainer Deyke via Boost <boost_at_[hidden]> writes:
>
>> I'm currently taking a second looks at build2. I haven't got very far, but
>> I'm already starting to hate it.
>
> I would be interested to hear why (probably best off-list since it
> will be off-topic here).

I haven't delved deep into Build2 yet (as stated above), so I could be
misinterpreting things. I also haven't given up on it yet. That said:
   - bdep creates a <project_name>/<project_name> hierarchy. I assume
the outer <project_name> directory is the package and the inner
<project_name> is the project within the package. But wait, there's one
more level! I can't put my build directories in the inner /or/ the
outer <project_name>, so in practice I've got three levels:
<project_name>/<project_name>/<project_name>.
   - I need to specify the name for each build configuration twice, once
for the @name and once for the directory.
   - It wants me to use git. I strongly prefer fossil as my version
control system.
   - Build configurations appear to be stored in a sqlite database, not
in a readable and editable text file.

--
Rainer Deyke (rainerd_at_[hidden])