From: Vinnie Falco (vinnie.falco_at_[hidden])
Date: 2024-05-01 18:15:48

On Wed, May 1, 2024 at 9:06 AM Christian Mazakas via Boost <
boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> For what it's worth, I overwhelmingly agree that Boost should have
> compression as a first-class library.
>
> We've lost our way, we keep amalgamating Asio-wrapping libraries but we
> don't provide the bread-and-butter functionality that developers actually
> need on a day-to-day basis.

zlib comes preinstalled on most Linux distros. If anything, zlib is more
popular than the Boost library collection in terms of the number of
installs. So I'm not sure what you're going on about. The "bread-and-butter
functionality that developers actually need on a day-to-day basis" is
already abundantly available.

What is gained by incurring the permanent, per-Boost-release costs that
comes with introducing the hypothetical Boost.ZLib which cannot be
currently obtained simply by saying (for example) "vcpkg install zlib" ?

Thanks