From: Nigel Stewart (nigels.com_at_[hidden])
Date: 2024-05-02 13:07:50

> > Our specific requirement is to statically link _our_ preferred version
> of zlib
> > built from _our_ pristine (and possibly patched) repo.
>
> As I said, this is accomplished by putting the following line in one of the
> b2 configuration files, for example user-config.jam:
>
> using zlib : 1.3.1 : <include>/opt/zlib-1.3.1/include
> <search>/opt/zlib-1.3.1/lib <name>our-zlib-name-1.3.1 ;

Peter,

Thanks for the information and encouragement. Your name is all over the
cmake
infrastructure, and I would like to thank you (collectively) for how nice
it all is.
I'm not a huge fan of cmake, but I accept that it's the go-to for C++
building,
generally speaking. Some familiarity can go a long way. This is looking
like a
great fit for what we want to do - essentially statically link everything
from our own
repos of everything from the ground up - both Windows and Linux.

I will also follow up to respond to some of the points about boost-bundling
of
these building-block compression libraries. I admit that OpenSSL is a
bigger
kettle of fish than say zlib or zstd.

Thanks!

- Nigel Stewart