From: Christopher Kormanyos (e_float_at_[hidden])
Date: 2024-05-15 05:14:15

>> working on a new library to>> implement IEEE 754 decimal floating>> point types

> What is the distinction to [Boost.Multiprecision]
We are glad you asked. Matt will add morebut I'll start (in fact I will expound).
Decimal intends to provide the decimaltypes that are explicitly specified inIEEE-754:2008. These will allow clientsto perform base-10 numericalcalculations that retain portability.Here we mean portability in the senseof changing your company, compiler,operating system or whatever and still being able to use your portable code.
C++ has that attribut, partially, todayfor binary floats but not yet for decimal.
And a secondary intent of Decimalis to provide a reference applicationfor potential specification(in the sense of C++/SG21/LEWG)for actually getting these intothe Standard.

Boost.Multiprecision does not intendto provide those types that are exactlyspecified in IEEE-754:2008.

We had this discussion along theway and as recently as yesterdaysince we are both co-autohrs ofall of Decimal/Math/Multiprecision.Should Decimal be part of Multiprecisionor vice-versa? We found the answerto be NO. Decimal is not Multiprecision.
So when we approach LEWGand say, look we have decimal(32/64/128)_t,this will ultimately beg a larger, yet unanswered,question. OK, great, decimal(32/64/128)_t.So where is float(32/64/128)_t ina mandatory spec? And the corrolaryquerry what about Int/uint(32/64/128)_t.
These questions will ultimately needto be answered. But that's a long-termdiscussion. Following all that, the intentis that Multiprecision will swing in forunlimited precision byone the so-calledbasics of 32/64/128.

Best, Christopher.
    On Wednesday, May 15, 2024 at 02:30:53 AM GMT+2, Georg Gast via Boost <boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:

 Hi Matt,
What is the distinction to

https://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_85_0/libs/multiprecision/doc/html/index.html

?

This also has a float128 type and gmp and other backends....

Bye Georg