From: Glen Fernandes (glen.fernandes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2024-05-15 10:55:36

On Mon, May 13, 2024 at 9:44 AM Matt Borland wrote:
> For the past year Chris Kormanyos and I have been working on a new library to implement IEEE 754 decimal floating point types.
>
> The library provides types decimal32, decimal64, and decimal128 as specified in IEEE 754 and STL-like functionality.

Matt, do we have benchmarks comparing yours to the decimal64
implementation in GCC?
i.e. The C++ std::decimal::decimal64 in <decimal/decimal> as well as
the C _Decimal64
(https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/Decimal-Float.html)
Those are backed by Intel's BID library.

Your implementation of decimal64 also stores a uint64_t of the IEEE
754 Decimal64 (presumably BID not DPD) format, correct? This also
means that on every operation you have to decode significand,
exponent, sign out of this - which isn't trivial given the format.

Glen