From: René Ferdinand Rivera Morell (grafikrobot_at_[hidden])
Date: 2024-07-11 15:29:08

On Thu, Jul 11, 2024 at 10:13 AM Niall Douglas via Boost
<boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> On 11/07/2024 10:28, Peter Dimov via Boost wrote:
>
> > At the moment I'm not proposing anything yet; this is purely
> > informative. But no matter how I look at it, I see a pretty
> > fundamental difference of opinion, which we'll need to
> > deal with at some point.
>
> I think you're seeing the Beman Project as a Boost 2.0, or Boost
> replacement.
>
> If one saw it instead as preparing the ground for reforming the shit
> show which is WG21 library standardisation, then it would be complementary.
>
> Boost's very own founders had first had experience of the shit show
> which is WG21 library standardisation. It could be argued that Dave left
> C++ over it, and Beman holds the record for the longest and hardest
> library standardisation process ever at WG21. I think Boost has - for
> extremely good reasons given the evidence - stopped trying at WG21.

I had the opportunity to chat with one of the contributors to the
first release of Boost libraries at the last WG21 meeting. And my
impression of the rationale for the foundation of Boost now differs
from what appears to be the popular understanding. Boost originally
didn't specifically aim to be an avenue for libraries to be adopted
into the C++ Standard. The aim was to collect and distribute quality
libraries aimed at general C++ developers in a web site. Everything
else was just happenstance.

--
-- René Ferdinand Rivera Morell
-- Don't Assume Anything  -- No Supone Nada