From: Vinnie Falco (vinnie.falco_at_[hidden])
Date: 2024-07-18 22:45:33

On Thu, Jul 18, 2024 at 3:18 PM Andrey Semashev via Boost <
boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> > This is a separate conversation from the choice of logo image, and one
> > worth having.
>
> Not really separate. The terms of use of the new logo directly affect
> its acceptance.

To clarify, the discussion referenced above, is whether there is value in
distinguishing a Boost release as an official communication from the
project, compared to something that a third party put together as a
package. This requires the ability to prevent misleading use. Which logo we
choose to do this, does not change the discussion (other than the obvious
necessity that going with the old logo will first need resolution of the
copyright issues).

I like official communications, and I think a cohesive visual language for
those communications enhances the reputation of the project by signaling
care regarding when presenting its volunteers' work.

I respect that you, Andrey, may not personally feel that
appearance matters, but I think it does and I suspect other people do too.
At the same time I also like permissive licenses so I wouldn't want to lose
that or have restrictions placed on my work which prevent its use.

You are obviously smart; do you have any ideas which reach a balance
allowing use of the libraries without restriction while also providing the
means to discourage usage which harms the libraries?

Thanks