From: Marshall Clow (mclow.lists_at_[hidden])
Date: 2024-07-25 15:32:44

On Jul 25, 2024, at 8:03 AM, Christian Mazakas via Boost <boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 24, 2024 at 4:09 PM Robert Ramey via Boost <
> boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
>> Given that its been decided to discourage usage of C++ 03, I would
>> suggest that libraries not be tested with this toolset. It sends a
>> confusing message.
>>

> Maybe I'm wrong about this but my impression is that if you don't support
> C++03,
> you still shouldn't break the build.
>
> There's a way in the Jamfile to make it such that b2 just skips over your
> library because
> it doesn't meet the requirements.
>
> You can use something like this:
> https://github.com/cppalliance/http_proto/blob/31e7cc801bea82a9f110f9c608ea97c444637316/build/Jamfile#L28-L30
>
> Seems to work pretty alright.
>
> You can do:
> b2 libs/http_proto/build cxxstd=03
>
> and b2 won't complain.

The problem - at least the last time that I looked into this - was that the libraries that are failing don’t have any problem with C++03 directly, but they use other boost libraries that have dropped C++03 support.

And yes, I agree that if you run “b2 cxxstd=03”, you should get a set of libraries that work with C++03, and no build errors. Libraries that don’t support C++03 should not be built.

— Marshall