From: John Maddock (jz.maddock_at_[hidden])
Date: 2024-09-06 12:31:48

On 31/08/2024 00:10, Glen Fernandes via Boost wrote:
> Update: The Boost Foundation proposal mentioned in the original
> announcement has been published.
>
> The Boost Foundation proposal is attached to this email:
> BoostFoundationStewardshipProposal.pdf
>
> A link to the above will also be available in the review commencement
> email that will be posted on September 3rd.
>
> For reference, the review schedule is:
> https://www.boost.org/community/review_schedule.html
>
> The C++ Alliance submitted the following proposal:
> https://cppalliance.org/pdf/Fiscal-Sponsorship-Proposal.pdf
>
> The original announcement email included an attachment of the above:
> https://lists.boost.org/Archives/boost/2024/08/257569.php

First of all thank you Glen for taking on this thankless task!

My review is coming in a bit early and before discussion has really
taken off, as I'm off on holiday and out of contact from Sunday.

I have no financial connection to either organization, although I do
know people who are either employed by, or on the board of, both
organizations.

Boost Foundation

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The status quo candidate I guess, on the plus side, they have gamely
kept the lights on for some time now - for which they deserve enormous
credit, they have also largely left Boost to it's own devices which has
mostly been a good thing.

On the negative side they failed to point boost.org to the new website
even when the community was in favor: something which would have avoided
this whole issue.  We also have an aging server running obsolete
software which needs to be actively upgraded, or the lights really will
go off (including this mailing list).  From what I see in their proposal
the intention is to replace the mailing list with Discourse, is that
correct?  I do understand the motivations behind that, but the last time
that was suggested around here, there was a proper "over my dead body"
moment.

C++ Alliance

~~~~~~~~~~

The change candidate.  At least somewhat: the Alliance is already
providing download services, CI, plus engineers to make sure the
releases actually go out.  On the plus side they have the resources that
Boost needs - we are a surprisingly rapacious project, something that
only gets worse the more successful the project is.  They also have a
clear plan for aging/failing resources, and a clear desire to revitalize
Boost.  I also like that the Alliance has been actively publishing
summaries of activities and finances on the mailing list: I'm sure there
is always more that can be done to improve transparency, but by and
large it feels like the Alliance has been more pro-active on this front
than the Foundation.

On the negative side, Vinnie is more from the "move fast and break
stuff" school of working which may well have upset some. And of course
untested as custodians of boost.org.  Set against that, I do like the
formal agreement Vinnie has proposed - more in line with the deal we had
with SFC - there is a clarity there that is currently lacking from the
Foundation.  I'm also impressed that Vinnie has responded to criticism
by actively seeking out new and better ways of organizing things.

Dangers

~~~~~~~

In essence both parties have the same main danger - if they go belly up
then boost.org goes up to auction.  Everything else can largely be
replaced, albeit our cloth would have to be cut much tighter, the domain
name would probably never be recovered though.

Inclusivity

~~~~~~~~

Since the Foundation mentions this in their pitch I though it was worth
raising.  IMO Boost has always had a strong policy on respectful debate:
we have been a remarkably politics and personality free forum since
inception.  The Foundation is none the less correct that we have a
distinct lack of female authors: this is of course an industry wide
issue, and one that's super hard to solve for a project composed of
volunteers.  In short we are dependent on whoever turns up.  And of
course inclusivity also extends further than gender: to non-native
English speakers to name but one.  I suspect this issue should be
treated as orthogonal to whomever controls boost.org, it would none the
less be interesting to have some concrete suggestions for improving our
inclusiveness, whether by gender or nationality/language.  In short I
see this as another facet to increasing participation in general.

Conclusion

~~~~~~~~~

There are strengths and weaknesses on all sides, but as things stand, I
vote to move control of boost.org's assets to the C++ Alliance.  To me
it seems like the balance of risks is lower on that side, but also we
gain the support of a group of people who are not only already committed
to Boost, but also committed to injecting more energy and involvement in
the project.

I also strongly hope, that whatever the outcome of this review, all
parties continue to be involved in Boost in some way: we have a history
of more than one organization supporting Boost, whether it was Microsoft
Research sponsoring library development, or via Dave Abraham's Boost
Consulting.  This always generates tensions when one party has so many
more hours to devote to the project than anyone else, that volunteers
struggle to keep up.  We got through things successfully then, and I'm
sure we will again.

Regards, John Maddock.