From: Vinnie Falco (vinnie.falco_at_[hidden])
Date: 2024-09-07 23:06:40

On Fri, Sep 6, 2024 at 8:49 PM Ali Asadpoor wrote:

> Currently I don't see a bright future for boost library. Soon STL
> will offer networking and later it might offer alternatives to other
> awesome libraries in the boost. Seems STL is slowly catching up with
> boost and it's killing it.

Certainly a dystopian outcome, and one I think we can avoid. I very much
doubt that the C++ Standards Committee will land a complete networking
specification any time soon. And when they do, I am sure it will reflect a
continuation of the problems which have plagued its recent efforts to
design big components. That is, that the results are overly complex, ignore
existing practice, and do not address the needs of C++ users writ large. It
is for this reason that I am so fervent towards revitalizing Boost: as WG21
continues its trend towards becoming more dysfunctional, it will fall on
Boost to deliver the things that C++ needs.

Boost culture reflects a triumph which prioritizes technical excellence
over politics, merit over identity, and work output over exhortations. This
is the only way to build the very best things.

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts!

Regards