From: Marshall Clow (mclow.lists_at_[hidden])
Date: 2024-09-09 17:38:18

On Sep 6, 2024, at 4:53 PM, Vinnie Falco via Boost <boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 6, 2024 at 4:05 PM Andrzej Krzemienski <akrzemi1_at_[hidden]>
> wrote:
>
>> śr., 26 kwi 2023 o 16:08 Vinnie Falco via Boost <boost_at_[hidden]>
>> napisał(a):
>>
>>> Before we replace the mailing list with a forum (and implement a mail
>>> gateway)
>>

> I want to be crystal clear here: no one is getting rid of the mailing list :)

Good. Very good.

Here are (in my opinion) the advantages of email lists over forums.
(Yes, I posted this back in 2023 - but things tend to get lost).

1) I have a choice of clients.
Heck, I can write my own client (I have worked on email clients)

2) I can keep a local archive, and search that local archive with my choice of tools.
I have boost ML archives going back to 2000.

3) Many forum readers try WAY WAY too hard to interrupt me. I will deal
with things when it’s convenient for ME, not when it thinks I should.

(Yes, I realize that this was not an “either-or” proposal, but the discussion was veering that way)

— Marshall