From: Andrzej Krzemienski (akrzemi1_at_[hidden])
Date: 2024-09-10 06:37:50

pon., 9 wrz 2024 o 23:37 Vinnie Falco <vinnie.falco_at_[hidden]> napisał(a):

> On Mon, Sep 9, 2024 at 1:46 PM Andrzej Krzemienski via Boost
> <boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> > I have a couple of questions to the C++ Alliance representatives
> regarding
> > the Fiscal Sponsorship Proposal.
> >
> > First, the proposal is very clear and informative. Thank you for this.
>
> Happy to answer any questions you have, and thank you for reading.
>
> > I still have some questions, though.
> > In Appendix 1:
>
> With permission from the Software Freedom Conservancy we have taken
> the original Fiscal Sponsorship Agreement and made very small edits to
> it. Paragraphs 2.c and 3 which you refer to have to do with no-profit
> compliance. Some explanation on how these agreements are structured is
> worthwhile.
>
> Donations made to a 501(c)(3) are only exempt from taxes when the
> usage of those assets complies with regulations. The fiscal sponsor
> bears ultimate responsibility for regulatory compliance for the
> projects that it takes on. Any practical agreement needs to allow for
> the fiscal sponsor to veto use of resources which it believes to be
> out of compliance Otherwise, the fiscal sponsor is bound to carry out
> the instructions of the Steering Committee. The contracts are written
> this way to protect the non-profit organization from losing its
> tax-exempt status.
>
> The legal agreement in Appendix 1 of the Alliance proposal is intended
> only as a draft. It shows the spirit of what the final agreement will
> look like, expressed as three core elements:
>
> * A Current Committee composed only of active Boost contributors
> * The Steering Committee determines the artistic, technical, and
> philosophical direction of the Project
> * The ability to terminate
>
> If our fiscal sponsorship proposal is accepted, the process for
> signing the agreement will look like this:
>
> 1. The review manager will determine the Current Committee (unless
> there's a better idea)
> 2. A representative of the Current Committee will select a law firm to
> act as legal counsel
> 3. Alliance and Boost's representative, with their respective counsel,
> will negotiate the final agreement
>
> I have quite a lot of faith in the agreement which the Software
> Freedom Conservancy put together, so there is hopefully not much need
> to negotiate changes. However, to do things properly, the individuals
> on the Current Committee must have the opportunity to ask questions
> and propose changes through their own legal counsel who represents
> them and not C++ Alliance.
>
> > 1. When I am a maintainer of a library, what does it make me in the light
> > of this agreement? Am I part of the Project? Or a donor to the Project?
> Or
> > something else?
>
> Great question, thanks :) With respect to the fiscal sponsorship
> agreement, there is no direct relationship. The FSA only establishes
> [...]

Thanks Vinnie. This is a very informative reply. Let me summarize to see if
I understood.

Should the outcome of this review be to accept the Fiscal Sponsorship
Proposal by C++ Alliance:
* the contents of the agreement between the Current Committee and the C++
Alliance are yet to be constructed. Appendix 1 of the proposal is only
there to give an idea of how the actual agreement might look like
* the Current Committee will self-appoint itself, but the "accept" outcome
of this review will be a confirmation that the Boost Developer Community
actually approves this
* the Boost Foundation will be able to pass the ownership of the Boost
assets to the C++ Alliance, and the "accept" outcome of this review will be
a confirmation that the Boost Developer Community actually approves this

Is this a fair summary?
Glen, as the review manager, is this also your understanding?

Regards,
&rzej;