From: David Sankel (camior_at_[hidden])
Date: 2024-09-10 23:47:14

On Tue, Sep 10, 2024 at 6:03 PM Matt Borland <matt_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> > It's sad there's so much negative energy in the Boost project towards the
> > people volunteering their free time to support it in the Boost
> Foundation,
> > even recognizing much of it is based on misunderstandings. No one should
> be
> > surprised why most of the board has steered clear from these discussions.
> >

> But, if I am reading this correctly, then this means that the Boost
> Foundation is actively avoiding engagement with the Boost community.

I don't think this accurately characterizes what I said. I'm talking about
individuals undergoing an incredibly stressful time with competing emotions
such as guilt for not doing more to prevent what Boost is becoming (or has
become) and dread of walking into a shitstorm.

If the board of a foundation can't engage with the community they literally
> share a name with, perhaps it's time to move on?

The Boost Foundation was the one that asked the community to decide on
governance. If the decision goes in the direction it looks to be going, I'd
be highly surprised if the foundation will want anything to do with the new
Boost.

I can't fault the foundation for divesting Boost assets, and reorganizing
> into say the Beman Project Foundation as that is now clearly the focus
> area, and place where you see the ability to affect change.

Beman is just one of several interesting Boost Foundation projects. I
happen to be a member of the Beman project and the Boost Foundation. Others
in the Foundation are mostly involved in other projects, like the C++Now
conference.

> I would not waste my time volunteering on something I felt was against me
> either.

I'm personally motivated out of concern that the Boost brand will be
tarnished by new Boost. This is something that will impact many of my
friends who have contributed so much to Boost's success and have an
identity with it. However, I think this decision will make a clear
separation point between old Boost and whatever becomes of new Boost.