From: Ion Gaztañaga (igaztanaga_at_[hidden])
Date: 2024-09-11 08:45:34

El 11/09/2024 a las 12:41, Zach Laine via Boost escribió:

> These kinds of additions are pretty rare. Compare static_vector,
> flat_map, and the modification of optional to have the T&
> sepcialization to the number of library features added in the same
> time period that did *not* come from Boost. Also, all of those things
> are "old" in some sense. None of them was added in the last 10 years.

I'm not following the static_vector standardization, but in the flat_map
case, the standardized std::flat_map is significantly different (split
storage of keys and values) from the boost implementation, so I wouldn't
say boost::container::flat_map is the base of std::flat_map (and IMHO
reusing the same name will be a problem for C++ users).

> 3) The tools suck. Boost build and our doc chain are great once you
> have them set up, but are impenetrable to newcomers. They are
> non-standard, which is unavoidable for a doc chain (there is no de
> facto standard), but odd and disappointing when it comes to build (the
> world has standardized on CMake, for better or worse).

The way things work in Boost is doing the work. It's a federation of
libraries so even if the Foundation might have a vision, the Foundation
can only encourage or look for contributors that will do the work.
Modifying 160+ libraries is no joke. When a project scales, changing
direction is not easy/feasible, especially if it's a paid work.

> That last point is very important. #4 is not a criticism, so much as
> pointing out a very different orientation of Boost vs. WG21. There's
> nothing wrong with this. It does however indicate that a new project,
> focused exclusively on road-testing new libraries bound for the
> standard, should be created. That project is Beman.

That's why I mentioned in my review that both projects should cooperate.
Beman could take a Boost utility/library for the standard and Boost
could take a Beman library (regardless of its inclusion in the final
draft) and expand/improve it.

> This is not accurate. I think the consensus among Beman participants
> is that Boost should do what Boost does well -- peer reviewed C++
> libraries -- and Beman should do its thing -- provide a testing ground
> and distribution mechanism not for C++ libraries in general, but for
> C++ standard library entities *only*. These are very different aims.

I agree.

Best,

Ion