From: Marshall Clow (mclow.lists_at_[hidden])
Date: 2024-09-11 20:06:58

On Sep 11, 2024, at 12:23 PM, Zach Laine via Boost <boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> BoostCon made more money than it spent for a lot of years. It
> accumulated some reserves, and people would sometimes ruminate on what
> we might spend all that sweet, sweet cash on. No large expenditures
> were ever taken on though.

The largest “expense” was not really an expense.
It was (and is) a guarantee for the room block at the Aspen Meadows for the conference.

If, for some reason, the conference didn’t fill the room block, it was still on the hook for the cost of the rooms.
For the first few years, Beman put up the money for this guarantee.

The one financial goal for the Steering Committee when I was a member was to accumulate enough
money to cover the cost of the room block - so that Beman didn’t have to put up his own money.

— Marshall