From: Kristen Shaker (kristen_at_[hidden])
Date: 2024-09-12 17:33:53

Hi Dave,

Thanks so much for contributing your thoughts to the discussion.

My ideal outcome would be to repair whatever is needed to make the
Foundation work as a governing body, and to repair the relationships so
that Alliance members can continue to make great technical contributions
without feeling like the Foundation is holding up their progress. I'm sure
that would be asking a great deal of the participants on both sides, but
that's what I'd like.

The following are my personal opinions.

This was my ideal outcome when I took over as chair and initiated a channel
of communication with C++ Alliance leadership. I genuinely thought we had
made progress toward collaborating effectively. The attempted acquisition
of the domain name seemed (and was confirmed verbally by leadership) to be
a direct attempt to permanently circumvent the board. I understand that
there was some acrimony between members of the Alliance and the Foundation
before I took over as chair. However, I am generally a collaborative person
(I do genuinely think a lot of disagreements come down to
miscommunications), and I believed, perhaps naively, that we could move
past our issues and make forward progress together.

I'd like to acknowledge that in all personal interactions with me, Alliance
leadership has been respectful and friendly. However, as chair of an
organization, I have to put personal relationships aside and attempt to do
what I feel is best for the organization as a whole. An organization cannot
have two steering bodies, one of which does not want to work
collaboratively with the other. There will be a continuous stream of issues
that the community will inevitably pulled into. I have reservations about
the Alliance's stewardship capabilities. However, a constant stream of
infighting is no way for a community to function. If the community were to
resoundly tell the Alliance that collaborating openly with the Board of
Directors is their preferred approach AND the Alliance were to agree to
that state of affairs, perhaps there would be a way forward. I do not
personally see that as being something Alliance leadership would be
amenable to.