From: Andrzej Krzemienski (akrzemi1_at_[hidden])
Date: 2024-09-18 09:15:04

wt., 17 wrz 2024 o 22:29 Robert Ramey via Boost <boost_at_[hidden]>
napisał(a):

> On 8/30/24 4:10 PM, Glen Fernandes via Boost wrote:
> > Update: The Boost Foundation proposal mentioned in the original
> > announcement has been published.
> >
> > The Boost Foundation proposal is attached to this email:
> > BoostFoundationStewardshipProposal.pdf
> >
> > A link to the above will also be available in the review commencement
> > email that will be posted on September 3rd.
> >
> > For reference, the review schedule is:
> > https://www.boost.org/community/review_schedule.html
> >
> > The C++ Alliance submitted the following proposal:
> > https://cppalliance.org/pdf/Fiscal-Sponsorship-Proposal.pdf
> >
> > The original announcement email included an attachment of the above:
> > https://lists.boost.org/Archives/boost/2024/08/257569.php
>
> Here is my review.
>
> From BoostFoundationStewardshipProposal.pdf
>
> "Fiscal Sponsorship Proposal
> To continue carrying out the Alliance vision to revitalize Boost, a
> change in governance is needed. Our proposal is straightforward:
> ● The C++ Alliance becomes the fiscal sponsor for Boost under the terms
> of the Fiscal Sponsorship Agreement provided in Appendix 1.
> ● The C++ Alliance receives eligible donations for Boost, or donates
> directly to Boost, and custodies ownership of Boost’s resources which
> currently include domain names, trademarks, and a server.
> ● The Steering Committee determines how resources are used.
> This developers-first approach leverages the useful sponsorship model
> already developed by the Software Freedom Conservancy, and allows the
> C++ Alliance to minimize the risks incurred when making large
> investments in the project."
>
> I recommend rejection of this proposal.
>
> I believe that the best way forward for boost is to reform the current
> Boost Foundation while maintaining it's authority over Boost assets.
>
> "Boost Assets" include but are not the following:
>
> a) Boost.org domain name.
> b) mail/testing servers.
> c) mailing list
> d) Stewardship of C++Now conference and revenues generated there from.
> e) Other assets
>
> Some definitions:
>
> a) Boost Library Foundation
> The Boost Library Foundation is the 501(c)3 non-profit behind the Boost
> C++ Libraries, the C++Now conference, and the Boost C++ Standardization
> Effort. The current bylaws of the Boost Library Foundation can be found
> here:
> https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xgtEovxMZThszuaQIMpDpaRdBuH1_BkZ/view
>
> b) C++ Alliance
> Described here: https://cppalliance.org
>
> c) Boost Mission - I've synthesized this from reviewing the original
> boost home page, the boost library foundation home page and C++ alliance
> boost.io page.
>
> Development of high quality, expert reviewed, legally unencumbered,
> open-source libraries advancing and disseminating software development
> best practices.
>
> d) Boost Software
> * either library code or tool
> [...]

You are proposing modifications -- which I admit I do not fully understand
-- but, the way I understand the process here, I think they are immaterial
to the outcome of this review.

The only possible outcomes of this review could be:
* Modify the status quo by accepting the Fiscal Sponsorship Proposal.
* Modify the status quo by accepting the Fiscal Sponsorship Proposal with
modifications suggested during the review.
* Keep the status quo.

While the Boost Foundation asks the Boost developer community to consider
their "alternative", I understand that the outcome of this review can in no
way oblige the Boost Foundation to implement their alternative.

Regards,
&rzej;