From: Andrzej Krzemienski (akrzemi1_at_[hidden])
Date: 2024-09-18 13:59:44

śr., 18 wrz 2024 o 15:06 Phil Endecott via Boost <boost_at_[hidden]>
napisał(a):

> I've been a Boost user and subscriber to this mailing list for most
> of this century, but I'm not a library author.
>
> It's tempting to write a long navel-gazing essay about the history
> of Boost and what it needs to do to remain vital, and then to
> pretend to forensically study the competing proposals to determine
> which will give the best result in the longer term. But in this
> post I'll try to be more honest: isn't this review more like a
> referendum on whose side we favour in the Vinnie Falco vs. David
> Sankel clash of personalities? Somehow we've reached a point where
> "this town ain't big enough for the two of them" and we're being
> asked to choose who to exile.
>
> What do I think about the Boost Foundation? I have always been
> mystified by why the Foundation, and the Steering Committee before
> them, have interacted so little with the list. The most
> extraordinary example of this was that the very establishment of
> the Foundation was not announced to the developers! Periodic, brief
> updates on Foundation activities to the mailing list would not have
> taken much effort could even have resulted in more offers of help.
> The foundation's present proposal starts by talking about
> "Transparency"; perhaps they would be more transparent in the
> future, but that would be a departure from how they have worked in
> the past.
>
> Regarding Vinnie and his C++ Alliance, I've not had a very positive
> view of them since he posted this back in 2023:
>
> "Something which should not surprise anyone is that I despise
> paying taxes."
>
> This statement is repeated in his current proposal.
>
> Personally, I'm proud of the tax that my business and I pay as it
> funds education, health, pensions and other public services that
> make my community a better place in which to live. In the world I
> inhabit, this is a mainstream view.
>
> It's one thing to despise paying taxes, but I think it's quite
> another to tell everyone that and assume that they share the same
> view. When I read that the boost.io domain for the "temporary"
> website had cost $135,000, my reaction was that you could feed a
> lot of hungry children with that sort of money.
>
> My conclusion is, "a plague on both your houses".
>
> I fear that Boost is doomed. This review will result in Vinnie's
> hostile takeover succeeding, but eventually he'll lose interest -
> maybe when the "young developers" that he hopes to attract don't
> materialise, or maybe after another falling-out with someone else.
> Then the project will sink.
>
> I think this is the right time for me to unsubscribe from this
> list; being here doesn't help me, and my contributions don't seem
> to help anyone else. I extend my best wishes and thanks to all
> those whose libraries I have used over the years.

Phil,
You have contributed to every Boost Review recently. This is the effect on
the Boost libraries that one can be proud of.
I am not in a position to say this, but thank you for your contribution.
I am sorry that you feel this way.

Regards,
&rzej;