From: Arnaud Becheler (arnaud.becheler_at_[hidden])
Date: 2024-09-25 13:04:24

I agree with Vinnie:

   - Projects like Boost tend to draw in a diverse range of contributors.
   - While things may have been different in the past, it seems today Boost
   wants to focus on attracting → engaging → retaining contributors and users.
   - This isn’t a technical issue, but a communication challenge.
   - Just like you call an electrician for electrical problems, you turn to
   marketing, outreach, or community-building peeps when facing communication
   issues.
   - With that in mind, I agree with Kristen: drawing inspiration from
   onboarding processes and basic marketing strategies could be a helpful
   approach.
   - I also agree with Robert and Andrzej: I personally don't like being
   spammed (even with technical mails, the reason why I initially left the
   mailing list lol)
   - The key question is then: how to develop these communication
   strategies that retain contributors without deterring those more focused on
   the technical side?
   - It seems there is no consensus on the answer

When in doubt I tend to acquire data: perhaps the first step could be to
better (re)-understand the actual/potential audience?

   - Run a survey in your networks (aka email/reddit/slack/meetups) to
   identify the different types of actual/potential contributors (e.g.,
   technical contributors, casual users, new contributors, core maintainers).
   - Identify their preferences: their motivation in boost, how often they
   want updates, what kind of information is relevant to them, and their
   preferred communication channels
   - Use this input to inform a first segmented, non-intrusive
   communication strategy: pass relevant information along different channels
   only to those who want it.
   - Build a feedback loop: iterate on the feedback to refine how, when,
   and what you communicate.
   - I also note this kind of survey could also be informative to the
   Foundation for inclusion problematics :)

Kind regards - and rainbow kitties,
Arno