From: Vinnie Falco (vinnie.falco_at_[hidden])
Date: 2024-10-08 17:01:20

On Tue, Oct 8, 2024 at 9:56 AM Kostas Savvidis <kotika98_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> There are some libraries, including but not limited to the below that
> contain code I would be ashamed of showing in public by 2030.
> Some of those headers are 2,3,5 MB large. The "Slow compilation" complaint
> might be related to those.
> Is there nothing that can be done about this in the next six years?

Judging by the example code which you quoted, I would guess that these
things have never been optimized. That is, optimized for compilation speed.
Peter has done considerable work in this area for Boost.MP11 and I think
Boost.Variant2 (?) which he spent time optimizing. Here is an example:

https://github.com/boostorg/mp11/blob/develop/include/boost/mp11/detail/mp_append.hpp

It may be possible to breath new performance improvements into those
libraries today, by adopting some of Peter's techniques, and this is
orthogonal to the question of obsolete libraries !

Thanks