It is a design flaw but it has been around a long time.  nil is Pascal's NULL.  All of the Mac OS's system interfaces were originally defined as Pascal and nil has been in the system headers since 1984.

Attempting to #undef a system constant is doomed to failure.  It would be very sensitive to include ordering.  Think of it like trying to redefine NULL.

Jeremy suggests in another email that boost::nil be renamed boost::null_pointer or something like that.  I believe this is the route to take.

Chris