> From: Paul Baxter [mailto:paul_baxter@ntlworld.com]
>
> RE: BGL book feedbackI know very little about graph theory and network
> topologies.
>
> I have a mild interest in learning, and wondered if the BGL
> book would be a
> good place to start.
>
> I prefer seeing practical applications and solutions that
> convince me of the
> worth of learning about graphs. I don't need the last word in
> theory or
> rigorous proofs, just the applications and a clear
> understanding of the
> pros/cons of various algorithms and how to implement them.
>
> I have a lot of time for Jeremy et al's style and it is the
> main reason for
> considering this book above any other 'graphing' book.
>
> So..... how does the boo stack up with those requirement?

Well, I don't have a solid background in graph theory either, and I had no trouble understanding the problems or solutions - nor did I feel overwhelmed by rigorous proofs - that's not what the book's about. The book takes a hands-on approach to problem-solving with the BGL, but doesn't fail to explain how and why.

So I'd say yes, this book is a good place to start learning (by doing).

Bjorn