From: Peter Dimov [mailto:pdimov@mmltd.net]
>Glen Knowles wrote:
>>> This is also a way we could solve the whole problem of absolute
>>> paths. It's clear that "/foo" isn't an absolute native windows path.
>>
>> This is not at all clear. I have and will contain to argue that
>> "/foo" is an absolute windows path, since it does not respect the
>> current directory.
>
>You can argue that only because you are using the ill-defined term
>"absolute" to mean "not relative to the current directory _only_, but
>possibly relative to some other global per-process state".

Whereas you use the term to mean "not relative to the current drive and directory _only_, but possibly relative to some other global per-process state (such as chroot)". Which is a place you can draw the line since admittedly it must be drawn somewhere.

You're mostly making an arguement that changing the current drive is sufficiently more common then changing the root or drive assignments to make it different in kind. I still find it to be significantly less common then changing the current directory, but I do see the point.

Glen