Boost logo

Glas :

Re: [glas] MTL3 design ? [was MTL project site is up]

From: Karl Meerbergen (Karl.Meerbergen_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-02-03 02:41:35

Theodore Papadopoulo wrote:

>Sorry, I'm jumping in the discussion.... but I just subscribed to the
>list.
>

>>Whether or not it's expected or intuitive is highly subjective. The
>>question is: will it prevent enough bugs to justify the inconvenience?
>>IMO the answer is no.
>>

>IMO the answer is definitely yes.
>I do not understand where is the inconvenience for linear algebra (in
>mathematics all vectors are given a unique size and all algorithms are
>depicted that way as far as I know).
>And it will definitely catch most dimensional problems as soon as
>possible.
>
> Theo.

I fully agree with Theo.

In addition, allowing assignments for any size assumes that vectors can
be resized by an assignment. I think this should be avoided.

Of course, we can provide different assignment schemes, as is also the
case in uBLAS.
This makes the vector concept open to all kinds of usage. The assignment
scheme can be part of the type, or we can use adaptors to allow a
specific assignment policy.

Have a nice day,

Karl