Boost logo

Glas :

Re: [glas] multilevel block-matrices

From: Karl Meerbergen (Karl.Meerbergen_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-03-17 10:35:36

On Friday 11 March 2005 17:23, plagne.laurent_at_[hidden] wrote:
> Hi all,
>

> I wonder if this kind of feature :
> - multi-level blocked matrices.
> - optional storage policy (virtual/actual) for matrices.
> can be of more general interest and should be considered in the GLAS
> project ?

This is of interest. At this stage, however, we are still defining the basic
concepts.

> I also wonder about the best level for parallelism consideration :
> * Computer science level : e.g. STAPL
> * Linear algebra level (GLASS level ;-))
> * Higher Level : e.g. FEM solvers.

Different levels may have to be considered. Parallelism was one of the options
that was mentioned in the early requirements for GLAS. It all depends where
the parallelism shows up in the application code: in a FE code, it can appear
on the domain level, but it can also appear in the linear solvers.

At this stage, I would like to see the basic concepts defined. There appears
to be a large interest to define a VectorSpace concept, so let us do that
first and see what needs to be done next.

Karl