Boost logo

Glas :

[glas] Skalar-Like concepts from GLAS and MTL

From: Peter Gottschling (pgottsch_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-05-18 15:08:14

Hi everybody:

I tried to combine the concepts from the GLAS proposal and the MTL.
Once started, other concepts were added in order to give a complete
picture. There are many small sample programs in the paper to show that
the large number of concepts does not imply lengthy codes.

As the paper became longer than I expected I put the main ideas on the
first one and a half pages. So, everybody can choose in how much detail
he wants to follow the single ideas.

An important aspect of these concepts is that for instance
AdditiveGroup is a refinement of Group, as in the GLAS proposal, but in
an implementable way. In addition, pure algebraic structures are not
only defined informally but also as concepts for C++ template code and
several examples are given how to use them. As a result of the concept
refinements, each type modeling a multiplicative or additive concept
can call functions for the corresponding pure algebraic concepts using
default functors.

The concepts so far cover the area of scalar-like concepts (and even
there are still some open details). I added some sources to play around
with. Any comment is welcome.

Best Regards and Happy Reading,
Peter

Peter Gottschling
Research Associate
Open Systems Laboratory
Indiana University
215 Lindley Hall
Bloomington, IN 47405
Tel.: +1 812 855-8898 Fax: +1 812 856 0853
http://www.osl.iu.edu/~pgottsch