Boost logo

Glas :

[glas] using (boost)range or STL style interface [was: dense and sparse vectors]

From: Toon Knapen (toon.knapen_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-08-02 07:29:48

Neal Becker wrote:

> I have not followed the details of this discussion. I wonder, though, if the
> use of "range" was considered as an interface, rather than stl-style
> iterators. I have been making extensive use of boost::range for all my
> container needs, and have found it to be more useful than iterators.

My feeling currently is that people are familiar with the STL style
interface while not with boost::range. AFAICT both approaches however
can coexist so there's no harm in supporting a range-style interface as
well. However having both styles of interfaces complicates matters a bit
(not everybody is familiar with boost:;range, possible
portability-problems) in respect to the added value of having both
styles of interfaces. Additionally the question of supporting
range-style interfaces or not is *currently* IMHO not essential to the
linear algebra capabilities. It is already very difficult to find
consensus on IMHO more important issues like defining a generic
interface for different types of sparse matrices etc.

So my feeling is to not consider it *now*. This does not exclude that it
might be considered in the future. And this is of course my current
feeling but I actually have not really a real strong opinion on the issue.

toon