Boost logo

Glas :

Re: [glas] using blas kernels

From: Toon Knapen (toon.knapen_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-09-09 08:58:29

Karl Meerbergen wrote:

> Something we have discussed in the past is the use of blas kernels in
> algorithms.
> There are several ways of using those:
> - dedicates function names: e.g. norm_1_blas(v)
> - hard code the collection whether blas should be used or not in norm_1(v).

I think we should exploit multiple modus operandi:

A first mode is to use the algorithm as implemented in glas itself. I
also suggest that this is the default mode.

A second mode is that glas tries to dispatch as much as possible to glas
(of course only if a corresponding blas call exists).

A third mode might be that glas decides if it will dispatch to glas or
use its own implementation. I don't think we will support this system
soon though because glas would need to be sure which implementation will
be best suited for all different cases.

Of course if users want to force that blas will be used, they should be
able to just call a binding for the blas function that accepts the glas
containers (cfr. the blas-bindings in the boost-sandbox).

toon