Boost logo

Glas :

Re: [glas] value_type

From: Peter Gottschling (pgottsch_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-10-04 21:06:56

On 04.10.2005, at 02:26, Karl Meerbergen wrote:

> Matthias Troyer wrote:
>
>> On Oct 3, 2005, at 11:14 PM, Toon Knapen wrote:
>>

>>> Basically the difference is:
>>> 1) or we specify a set of requirements the value_type's need to
>>> fullfill
>>> so that you can use any algorithm in the glas-library
>>> 2) or we specify the set of requiments on the value_type's per
>>> algorithm
>>>

>> Since concepts should specify the _minimal_ requirements on each
>> algorithm, clearly 2) is the way to go.
>>
>> Matthias
>>

> I too prefer the 2nd option.
>
> Karl

Me too. For instance, 2x2 matrices can be useful as value_type for
vectors and matrices but they are not invertible in general. Requesting
division would therefor forbid them as value_type.

In general, applicability can always be extended in two directions:
1) minimizing the requirements of an algorithm to maximize the set of
applicable data types
2) maximizing the requirements that a given data type fulfills to
maximize the set of applicable algorithms.

Peter

Peter Gottschling
Research Associate
Open Systems Laboratory
Indiana University
301i Lindley Hall
Bloomington, IN 47405
Tel.: +1 812 855-8898 Fax: +1 812 856 0853
http://www.osl.iu.edu/~pgottsch