Boost logo

Glas :

Re: [glas] norms and inner products for vectors of matrices

From: Russell Smiley (smiley_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-01-17 09:11:23

While I can see that it's true that vector<vector<double> > is ambiguous
in terms of how operators might be applied to it (ie. Is this a
representation of a matrix, etc) , I don't quite understand why we have
to maintain that ambiguity in a numerical library.

What is wrong with having a concrete type 'matrix' (along with others)
such that you can still use vector<vector<double> > if necessary, but
resolve the ambiguity when needed?

For example:

vector<vector<double> > v;
// do some stuff with v...
Y = v*v;
// perhaps v*v is scalar multiple of elements of v;

// now assign v to the matrix so we can do some operations on it,
// making it clear that this is a diagonal matrix, somehow.
matrix<double> m(v, matrix::diagonal);
// etc, or

matrix<double, matrix::diagonal> m(v);

Z = m*m;
// now m*m (implicitly v*v) is matrix multiply of some form.

I assume there is some penalty for the assignment (perhaps not a
significant one if it's a reference copy) but at least the ambiguity is
resolved and syntactically it's fairly transparent/simple.

Russell.