Boost logo

Glas :

Re: [glas] Concept C++ [was Re: back to business}

From: Peter Gottschling (pgottsch_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-11-22 10:38:01

Well, I used ConceptGCC many times and it works quite well now. The
fundamental concepts on the GLAS list, like ring and group, are
implemented with concepts now and compiled with ConceptGCC. I published
the results as technical report:

http://www.cs.indiana.edu/cgi-bin/techreports/TRNNN.cgi?trnum=TR638

There is amongst others an example to compute the power function with
regard to an arbitrary binary function. There are different algorithms
for magma, semi-group, monoid and groups. The concept compiler
dispatches to the most appropriate.

In another paper still pending I did performance experiments and it
showed that the performance is the same as with gcc without concepts.

There were occasionally some minor problems with ConceptGCC but Doug
fixed most of them in the meantime. That said, the compiler is not in
perfect production mode yet but it is already extremely useful for
working with concepts.

Cheers,
Peter

On 22.11.2006, at 08:52, Ian McCulloch wrote:

> On Wed, 22 Nov 2006, Karl Meerbergen wrote:
>
>> I think we should consider this. Is concept-gcc stable now?
>
> I think it is, although last time I checked there were some issues with
> compile times that ought to go away in the final version. Aside from
> spending a few hours reading the proposal, I have never used concept
> gcc.
> Maybe someone else on this list has? My impression was though, it
> would
> be the killer feature for linear algebra libs.
>
> Cheers,
> Ian
>

>> On Wed, 2006-11-22 at 14:36 +0100, Ian McCulloch wrote:
>>> Hi Karl, Toon,
>>>
>>> Have you considered using Concept-GCC ?
>>> http://www.generic-programming.org/languages/conceptcpp/
>>>
>>> Ian

>> --
>> Karl Meerbergen
>> Katholieke Universiteit Leuven
>> Department of Computer Science
>>
>> E-mail: karl.meerbergen_at_[hidden]
>> Phone : +32 16 327700 (secretary)
>> Fax : +32 16 327996

Peter Gottschling, Ph.D.
Research Associate
Open Systems Laboratory
Indiana University
135 Lindley Hall
Bloomington, IN 47405
Tel.: +1-812-855-3608 Fax: +1-812-856-0853
http://www.osl.iu.edu/~pgottsch