Boost logo

Glas :

Re: [glas] multi-dimensional arrays?

From: Karl Meerbergen (Karl.Meerbergen_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-12-15 02:56:26

Ian McCulloch wrote:

>Hopefully it would not be too hard to have a tensor library where the
>special cases of 1- and 2-dimensional tensors satisfy the glas vector and
>matrix concepts though.
>
>Nested vectors and matrices are a different case, these should be
>supported. Much of it comes naturally, unless you go out of the way to
>forbid constructing a matrix<matrix<T> >. But there does need to be some
>extra functionality, for example partial transpose
>A(i,j)(k,l) -> B(i,k)(j,l). I don't think this affects the core library
>much (although I may be wrong)

I think this is an important point. Toon and I have thought about this
for a long time. We will certainly talk about this in detail. Providing
the container matrix< matrix<T> > is not hard. I recall that algorithms
are application/interpretation dependent, and we had a lively discussion
on the list on this topic. So, I agree that 'some' support is needed,
although it is not yet clear to me what 'some' here means.

Best,

Karl